With summer just around the corner, and the humidity among us; I thought I would share some of my beauty tips and tricks to stay fab all summer long.
I have straight hair, but in the summer it seems like all rules go out the window and my hair doesn’t know which way to go so it decides to do a little half/half thing and I never know what to do with it. My favourite product to help with this is the “Living Proof; Perfect Hair Day” 5in1 styling treatment. It helps with smoothness, volume, conditioning, strength, and polish. It’s formulated without parabens and phthalates so its safe for coloured treated hair too. I put a dime size amount in my hair while it’s damp before I blow dry or air dry. This treatment keeps the static down and no matter how I style it, it stays that way (whether straight or curly). You can find this at Sephora here, for $36.00 but it lasts over a year for the entire bottle.
Another thing I’m sure most girls suffer with during the summer is keeping all their makeup on, with the humidity and heat it’s hard to keep your face beat throughout the day. Some amazing products I swear by are the Urban Decay “Chill” setting spray and Mac Fix+. I like to spray Fix+ throughout my makeup application and then finish off with my setting spray to keep my makeup in place all day. I also like to keep a small little Fix+ bottle in my purse to touch up during the day and keep my makeup in place.
Go waterproof. There are tons of amazing water proof cosmetics, and they’re great to beat the summer heat. Especially during pool party season, waterproof mascara can be a life saver. And to avoid those awful black under eyes, try not to put mascara on the lower lash line because sweat and oil can collect and smear the product. There are great options for waterproof mascara, such as Rimmel London Wonder’Lash Mascara (w/argan oil) and Too faced Better Than Sex Waterproof.
Everyone wants that summer glow but are you willing to risk ruining your skin for it? Something I struggle with is keeping a great colour all summer long without baking in the sun. After taking the Esthetics program, I learned a lot about how the skin works and how often we damage it without noticing. And I know this is something nobody wants to listen to, because lets be real the hot thing is to be tan. But there’s better ways to achieve that glowing complexion. Sunscreens wear off surprisingly fast, even faster if you come in contact with water. Even the highest quality brands only last for an average of 80 minutes. To get the most out of your sunscreen try to reapply often and take breaks from direct sun exposure. Another tip is to make sure the sunscreen you chose is offering full protection from UVB rays which is what can cause burning, and UVA rays which can cause premature aging, wrinkles, fine lines and cancers. If you’re not into baking in the sun, another great option is spray tans or self tanning. They also offer some makeup and tanning products with SPF in them, which can protect you while looking great. Some products I love are Tarte cosmetics “Glow in the faux self-tanner”, Josie Maran “Liquid Gold Self Tanning Oil”, TarteGuard 30 sunscreen lotion broad spectrum SPF 30, and the Laneige Lip Mask (Helps protect your lips from the UV and UVB rays) but any lip chap will do just fine!
A few little tips and tricks that help me:
- Before entering a pool or ocean, wet your hair in the bath or shower (I know it sounds crazy) but trust me. It helps to fill the cuticle with water so that less chemicals can enter it and damage your hair.
- Don’t forget to use primer before putting on your makeup to make sure it sticks in place!
- Change up your foundation shades as you tan, it’s super obvious when someones face it way too pale for their body
- Get waxed ladies, shaving your bikini line right before going to the beach or a pool party is a no go. Exposing your open hair follicles to the direct sunlight, and chemicals of the pool is not a great idea. It can cause infections, irritations, redness and bumps and lets be honest its not cute. Waxing is a full proof plan and leaves the area smooth for 2-4 weeks!
- Get some cute shades to protect your eyes, it’s super important and sun damage can affect you for the rest of your life. (My sunglasses in the photo above are the Quay X Desi Perkins collaboration. The style are “High Key” in the black fade colour.)
Thanks for listening & I hope you got some great tips to use this summer!